- other services
- About Us
- Contact Us
The fire is out, but your home is damaged beyond recognition. Now what? Now you call AFTERDISASTER-Metrolina. We’ve handled fire damage all across the Charlotte metro area. We’ve seen some of the most devastating damage that you can imagine. The good news is that we’ve also restored a lot of damage. If you’ve just been through a terrifying disaster, you can’t get back to normal life until you get rid of the damage. Fortunately, that’s why we’re here. If you’re ready to start your assessment, call us now. If you need a bit more information first, keep reading.
Your house handles all of your day to day life. A lot of that day to day life involves fire and heat. House fires can start in many different ways. Here are some of the most common ones.
Electric fires start because of old or faulty wiring. Electric sparks can catch onto flammable material, causing a major flare-up. For future prevention, have an electrician check your home for potential risks once every few years.
Kitchen activities cause a lot of house fires. Grease can spill across the oven and catch fire. A stray napkin or piece of paper can get too close to a gas stove. Since the kitchen is the place where people use the most fire and heat, it’s also the place where many house fires begin. It’s always a good idea to keep a fire extinguisher in the kitchen, just in case of emergency.
Dryers are an extremely common source of house fires. These appliances generate a lot of heat. Generally, dryer fires happen because people forget to empty the lint trap in between loads. As a result, the dryer doesn’t get proper ventilation and overheats. The clothes inside the dryer then fuel the fire. You can prevent fire by checking the lint trap before and after every load of laundry.
A fireplace, obviously, can be a source for a house fire. When your chimney goes without being cleaned for a long time, it can hold onto buildup. That buildup can then catch on fire. You can prevent house fires by getting your chimney checked every season before you start using the fireplace
Fires can also happen in commercial buildings, and AFTERDISASTER-Metrolina is prepared to deal with the damage. Let’s take a closer look at why fires happen in these buildings.
In the winter, heaters can carry a risk for fires. Your main heater can start a fire if you have debris in your air vents. If flammable material overheats, it can cause a spark. Or if you have faulty wiring powering your building’s heaters, those can also spark. Finally, poor ventilation can lead to overheating and eventually fire. You can prevent these issues in the same way that you would in your home. Have an electrician do regular check-ups, keep the vents clean, and keep the air ducts clear. Space heaters are also a common cause of fires. If you allow space heaters in your building, make sure that they’re being used safely.
Sometimes, people will toss their cigarette butts into garbage cans and wastebaskets instead of ashtrays. When this happens, a spark from a cigarette can ignite papers and other materials inside the can. Trash can fires can grow to engulf an entire building, so make sure that you have clear rules in place when it comes to cigarette disposal.
Aside from preventing fires in the future, why does it matter where different types of fires come from? It matters for two different reasons. First, different types of fires leave different scars. After a chimney fire, for example, you might have to completely rebuild part of your house. A fire that started in a wastebasket, on the other hand, might only require a new paint job.
Second, different types of fires leave different kinds of smoke. Some types of smoke are more difficult to remove than others. When we know what kind of fire caused the smoke, we can come up with a strategy to remove it.
Fire leaves behind all sorts of damage. Thankfully, AFTERDISASTER-Metrolina is equipped and ready to deal with all of these types.
Fire, of course, can burn different parts of your house or building. While some things will have to be replaced, others can be restored or rebuilt. When we do our initial assessment, we’ll talk to you about what we can restore and what we’ll have to throw away. And we’ll always keep you updated during the process.
Fire leaves soot behind, and that soot can get everywhere. It’ll spread all across your house or building, making the damage look even worse than it already is. Furthermore, soot causes stains. Thankfully, our cleaning process can remove most of those stains. We’ll vacuum up the soot and then deep clean salvageable items.
Smoke is one of the most difficult aspects of fire damage. Often, smoke will stay behind long after the fire has been put out. The problem is that smoke lodges itself into paint and soft objects, which is why the smell sticks around even after the visible smoke is gone. Once again, our deep cleaning process will get the job done.
If you used water to put out the fire, that water may cause damage later. Water can leave warps and stains of its own. Sometimes it mixes with soot and spreads those stains even further. Water also leaves mold, so it’s important to dry the affected space as soon as possible. AFTERDISASTER-Metrolina handles water damage all the time, so we’re completely prepared to take on whatever the water brings.
Have you had a fire in your home or building? If the fire happened in the Charlotte area, such as Salisbury or Newton, we’ll be there in an hour or less. Don’t hesitate to call. We have a 24/7 emergency service. The sooner you call AFTERDISASTER-Metrolina, the sooner you can get back to life as usual.CALL NOW (704) 372-1200
Copyright © 2019 All Rights Reserved AFTERDISASTER-Metrolina